If movies allow us to escape to other worlds, here then is an account of the journey

Saturday, May 14, 2005

Finding Neverland

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Staring: Johnny Depp, Kate Winslet, Dustin Hoffman, Freddy Highmore


I had my doubts about Finding Neverland, since I was never really a big fan of Johnny Depp and after Pirates of the Caribbean, I just couldn’t see him playing a writer. I’ve heard some people say it was fantastic and that they’ve cried buckets, while some said it was boring and tedious. The thought of crying buckets over a film never really was an enticing factor to me. The reason I forced myself to watch it was because I have to pay tribute to J.M. Barrie, whom I idolize as the man who found a way to never grow up. He was able to create a world only the best of us could ever dream up. For me, he’s up there with JRR Tolkien and Ursule Le Guin.

But in increasingly surprising turns, I found myself completely falling in love with the story. Well, yes, it wasn’t perfect, but it was an imaginative take on a great writer’s life. The pace of the movie was slow – but I believe that’s only to give the audience enough time to digest the fascinating aspects of all the characters. Oh my God, some people actually thought that as boring? If they only had enough imagination and used it, the spaces in the film could have been easily filled up. And Johnny Depp – well, I have to give credence to this guy. He has a knack for taking the weirdest characters in all of Hollywood, and make it believable. Remember when people scoffed when he was nominated for an Oscar for his performance in Pirates of the Caribbean? You won’t scoff now, because he truly deserves a bit of recognition for taking a role that could have easily been boring. Somehow, he was able to portray a subtly compelling naïve, impervious genius without any goofball stunts. From pirate to Scottish writer (with proper Scottish accent). Amazing this guy, I realized. He could practically be anything.

The other luminous actor in the movie, even more so than Depp, was Freddy Highmore who played Peter Llewelyn Davies. I’ve never been as riveted watching every emotion on a young boy’s face since the Sixth Sense (with Haley Osment). This kid is intense.

Now, do I mention Kate Winslet? Well, yeah, okay, she was fairly acceptable as the widow Du Marier. But I found myself thinking something was missing from her whole performance. Oh yeah, Imagination. I could’ve watched any old telenovela on TV and it wouldn’t have made a difference.

But – oh but, the best reason to watch this movie is for the imagery. Now, don’t go expecting an LOTR type of set where everything was made real and life-sized. You need to use your imagination, and the movie chose not to impose theirs. You can see that some of the scenes were using props and men in costume and fake water, etc… But it doesn’t matter. You just see --- for yourself and with your own eyes – what you want to see. This is the whole point of the film after all.

Lastly, a lot of people seem to be touched by the last scene of the movie. Yes, it was good. Very good writing and most excellent acting. But I don’t know if I should blame Kate Winslet’s performance because I didn’t find myself caring very much that she died at all. Pity, because it’s supposed to be the climax of the film. Why did she have to die? So she could go to Neverland. Well, good for her and good riddance.

But to believe, just to believe… that gave me a bit more emotion.

And when Peter finally whispered, “I can see her…”, I wanted to see as well. Then I remembered that I have a Neverland too and I can go there anytime I want ---

I, too can see, and I, too, believe.

Watch this movie when it comes out on video -- we all need something to remind us that it's not always so bad to want to never grow up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home